Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hello from Punta Gorda

Hello all....we are here and safe!!  Sorry it has taken a few days.  We traveled all day on Sat. and then Sunday almost everything is closed...they still honor Sundays here!  And yesterday we were busy in the villages.  We are having a great time and great experience.
 
I will write as much as I can now, and keep adding updates...and I am finally feeling better (I was sick the past three days)...so no worries now Mom!
 
Like I said Sat was our travel day, it takes a 5 hour flight and 5 hour bus ride and we arrived at the convent at 730 and we were exhausted.  But so glad to be in this beatiful country.  It is WARM....85-degrees at least with humidity!  HOT.
 
Sunday, we went to Mass in a village called San Antonio - it was the epiphany celebration and the church was decorated so lovely for christmas...pictures to come on that.  Then we went to visit some Mayan ruins, and then in the evening we went to a culture night with local dance and music from some of our Belizian locals.  It was so much fun.  Fr. Don wore his Bob Marley t-shirt!!
 
Monday and Tuesday we were in the villages.  Today at the schools we taught the kids about bruching their teeth and handed out the flip flops...they loved them.  We did an arts and crafts project and taught them Red Rover.  The Mayan children are very sweet and are having so much fun with us.
 
The construction team is working hard, hard, hard.  They are working on the foundation of the church...pouring concrete (by hand) today. 
 
We also have a few team members going along with a local group to vaccinate pigs to prevent worms...these are 250-pound pigs!
 
Tomorrow we are back in the villages and construction site after we check out a local farmers market in the morning.  Tomorrow night we have dinner at the home of one of the friends we have made here in Punta Gorda.  We are excited about this too.
 
Everyone says to tell their families hello and they miss everyone.  We are all helathy and safe. 
 
Joanne and I did have an extra guest drop by our window...a trantula the size of a hand....we screamed to say the least. Thankgoodness it never made it in.
 
Sorry for any typos, I had to type fast. 
 
More to come.
 
Jaime
 
PS - Love ya Doug!!!  :)
 



Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are finally feeling better. I was so happy to get your phone call. I miss you so much. Spiders I can hear you now. Sounds like you are having fun and doing alot of good. Looking forward to tomorrows update. Be safe and I love you Doug.
    P.S. Thanks for the cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy you were finally able to post a message. I have been checking it daily. I am glad you are feeling better, so you can really enjoy yourself now. Will have to say this blog is really a great idea. Great way to keep in touch. All is fine, Griffey is laying here at my feet. He says Hi Mommy, I miss you. By the way, what cards? Dad & I didn't get no stinkin cards. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous to read about what's happening there! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

    Ah ... Red Rover. Haven't thought about that in awhile. I can almost hear the screams and screeches as the kids play it!

    We've had a bit of "inclement weather," school was closed yesterday. Enjoy the summertime temperatures because I think it will still be winter when you get back.

    ReplyDelete