Saturday, January 10, 2009

What A Week

Hello all our friends and family!!! What a week it has been, an incredible week that each of us has enjoyed and received so much from our experience. We are in Placencia now. And I have to send a message to all of you from our entire team....It is cold and snowy there in St. Louis and it is beatiful, sunny, warm and an ocean breeze while we have been sitting on the beach today....sorry, we had to rub it in!

Thank you all for your comments, I have read them back to everyone and we have all enjoyed them. Can someone please call Ann Lacker's husband and give him the link to the blog...with all her busyness before the trip, she forgot to give him the address.

We have so much to share with all of you from this week....here is a quick update on each project:

Mike Schappe and Conde Candey spent a day at the convent where we stayed helping the sisters with small handyman projects...they were so grateful to have new shelves built in their storage room.

Anne Schappe and REbecca Mueller spent two days in the health clinic and PG Hospital assisting with medical care, seeing patients and really getting a better understanding of the diseases and illnesses facing the people in BElize and in the Toldeo District.

The construction team - Bob Mueller (who has some bruised up knees), Chris Scmid, Mike Schappe, Jack Deveney, CArol Deveney, Conde Canedy and JAy Couch finished their week by laying more brick on the foundation of the church....they worked with Frankie the Foreman in Belize who oversees the church construction. Let me tell you how kind and generous this group is....Frankie who needed some repairs done to his work truck and has been saving up money to get that to happen was quite surprised and touched when the construction team presented him with a donation to make that happen...such a true spirit of giving and helping someone who really needed it.

KAthy KAne and Colleen Doherty continued with the work on vaccinating the pigs in various villages, working closely with the socio-economic group of Belize.

And the School Teams - Ann and Shannon Lakcer, Fr. Don, Joanne Turek, Anne Candey, Anne Schappe, Mike Doherty, Bridget Doherty, Dave, and me...finished our weeks in teh schools...each school prepared a special lunch for us and put on a presentation with their culutural song and dance. It was so emotional to say goodbye to the kids and teachers. We were there to teach them, but each of them left an impression on us that we will forever hold onto.

I will have lots of toucjing and funny stories to share with you when I get back and can post updates on my own laptop without a dial up connection!

We are now heading to Mass on the beach with Fr. Don at sunset....how wonderful is that!

Much more to come as we share our exciting adventure.

Doug - I was so glad to talk to you today! Miss you lots! Will you call my mom and tell her you heard from me, I forgot to mention that on the phone??? Love ya!

Give Griffey a kiss for me...I miss my dog!

Love to everyone!

Jaime and teh team

5 comments:

  1. Jaime I was so happy to get your phone call today. I cant wait until you come home. Called your mom and told her you were working on your tan. Have fun and hurry home.
    Love Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunset, the beach and worship of our God at the same time ... that sounds like the piece de resistance!

    You'll probably be surprised at how many people are following the blog even tho they've not signed in. I hear comments about people checking it to see what the Team is doing. I mentioned the blog to a lady over 70 thinking it was just a conversation thing. Well, she wanted to know where the link was so she could get on and read it...turns out she knew all about blogs from her granddaughter and, no, I didn't need to tell anything else except where the link was. She could do it. Lesson there was, "Don't assume!"

    Hope your travels go well and all connections are timely. Love what you all did in Belize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is sad for you all that your week is almost over. It has been very exciting for us here at home to be able to keep up with what you were doing. Mass on the beach with Fr.Don, wished I was there. Dad & I are getting ready to go to mass now, somehow it is just not quite the same as Mass on the beach. I won't be at the airport on Monday, I will leave that opportunity for Doug. I know you will want to be alone. He misses you terribly. Hope to see you on Tuesday, because your Mom & Dad miss you also.
    Love Mom
    PS you are not bringing home any spider monkey are you? Also, Nate's two top teeth came through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each of you is such a blessing and in turn have been blessed by the people of Belize....knowing in our hearts that all is One.

    ReplyDelete